Here is what the LIberal Democrat manifesto has to say about LGBT issues:
A fair society should treat its citizens equally and with dignity. In this Parliament, thanks to Liberal Democrats in government, there have been key advances in the fight for equality – like introducing same-sex marriage and banning age discrimination. But we must continue our work to fight prejudice and discrimination based on race, age, religion or belief, gender, sexuality, and disability. We will enact the remaining unimplemented clauses of the Equality Act 2010
To promote equality in relationships and for LGBT+ individuals, we will:
- Give legal rights and obligations to cohabiting couples in the event of relationship breakdown or one partner dying without a will.
- Permit humanist weddings and opposite sex civil partnerships, and liberalise the rules about the location, timing and content of wedding ceremonies.
- Support schools to tackle homophobic and transphobic bullying and discrimination, and to establish a tolerant and inclusive environment for all their pupils. We will remove schools’ exemption from the bar on harassment in these areas while protecting the right to teach about religious doctrine.
- Promote international recognition of same sex marriages and civil partnerships as part of a comprehensive International LGBT Rights Strategy that supports the cause of decriminalising homosexuality in other countries.
- Seek to pardon all those with historic convictions for consensual homosexual activity between adults.
- Enhance the experience of all football fans by making homophobic chanting a criminal offence, like racist chanting.
- Ask the Advisory Committee on Safety of Blood, Tissues and Organs periodically to review rules around men who have sex with men donating blood to consider what restrictions remain necessary.
We also take our responsibility as an internationalist party seriously and also say the following.
Liberal Democrats believe British foreign policy and international aid should seek to advance human rights and democracy throughout the world. We believe all people – regardless of ethnicity, disability, age, belief, gender or sexual orientation – deserve a freer, fairer and more prosperous world.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for promoting the decriminalisation of homosexuality around the world, and advancing the cause of LGBT+ rights.
While we appreciate that the party are not standing here in Northern Ireland and therefore have not laid out specific Northern Ireland policies the above lays out the ethos that the Liberal Democrats in Northern Ireland will also work towards as well as the various inequalities we currently experience with the rest of the UK and indeed the rest of Ireland.